Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St Patricks Day!



It was interesting to be in Ireland during this holiday. I was able to find out some interesting facts about the celebrations here. Firstly, this was usually a religious holiday. A break from Lent, a celebration and an extra Mass. Not so much anymore. The first St. Patrick's Day parade was actually held in the United States. And from what I can gather, if not for the US the festivities would not be so big here.

Parents aren't obsessed about getting their kids dressed up in green and the pinching thing...not here. You see more national colors: green, white and orange. I like it more so than just the green. This is the only time I have seen an abundance of national pride and flags coming out in full force. Oh except, maybe the England vs Ireland rugby match a few weeks ago.

The two older boys and I ventured down to the city center to witness the parade. All recommendations say to get there early (we did) and leave early (we did). We stood waiting for about an hour for the parade to start. We were about three people deep, we would have had to show up about 3 hours early to get the front row. And we had about 3 or 4 rows of people behind us. From what I can tell if it weren't for US High School and college marching bands and other nationalities there wouldn't be much of a parade which I am sure is just fine with the Irish. It is lucrative for them to have all the tourist(so much so the festival lasts five days) and gives them a long weekend to do what they do best: PARTY. I heard more Americans around than I have since I have been here. The weather was chilly and we didn't stick around but the atmosphere was fun, apparently that changes as the day lingers. It gets a little crazy if not dangerous when the drink starts flowing and craic sets in. Sorry no photos, I forgot the camera.

So we can say we have been there, done that and have some great St. Patty's (that is just not said here) paraphernalia for the years to come.

The Red Sox wore green jerseys? It is definitely a bigger deal in the US.

2 comments:

choconet said...

Happy St Pat's Day! Interested in an Irish recipe for SPDay? ...just visit my blog.

Jenni said...

that red sox jersey cracks me up, i am certainly right in the middle of red sox/irish catholic territory, i think they are one in the same...i am wondering if the red sox pride is a bit deeper than yankee pride?? i am just wondering, i don't want to get beat up or anything!