Saturday, March 29, 2008

Her Conflict and Mine

I felt inadequate. Conditional. Unfair. Angry. Misunderstood. We were treating her so differently from the boys and I didn't like it but she was so different. But again unless you lived with her you couldn't see it. So I felt an enormous amount of guilt from those on the outside looking in. I had virtually no patience with her and found myself yelling at the kids. And for me this was so disappointing because it meant I felt out of control. There were a few things I would do better as a parent than I had growing up and this was one of them. But I wasn't doing better. I see now I was very hard on myself. I was taking the blame for so many of her actions. I clearly needed help. But I have discovered on this journey that I don't like to ask for help and I don't want to appear needy. That I gladly report is changing. So for far too long I felt like the source of the problem. Nobody would believe that this small girl could cause so much torment. I could hardly believe it myself. The dynamics of the family were changing. The spirit in the house was contentious. I was experiencing anxiety attacks (I recognize that now). And I had no outlet. And all the while, I tried to put on my best face. I felt fraudulent. I was becoming and doing things that I told myself I would never do as a parent. It was causing the trauma I was feeling from her to be more intense that it ever should have been. These feelings, at varying degrees, lasted for nearly 2 years.

1 comment:

Joella Kingsbury said...

I admire the great strength that you have. Life's challenges are never easy. I think that as moms we can be very hard on ourselves and tend to not always measure up to the expectations we have set for ourselves. At least I experience that often. I reflect and see myself falling short of the mark too often. The good side of the coin is we try harder and make changes. It sounds like you have had several trials that I cannot relate to via no common circumstance but I admire how you are working through it and pushing forward. I hope to hear more about your experience on your blog. Love Ya!!