Wednesday, May 28, 2008

NOTICE

As the sun arose,
its light capped the snow covered peaks,
while the shadow blanketed beneath.
The icy blue sky fell behind
and lent itself to a magnificent backdrop.
Who would stop for a moment
and watch
as the sunlight
inched down the mountain
and see the shadow shrink away?
I don't have time.
I must make time.
He has got me to notice,
now I need to stay.
There are too many good excuses
to make me not pause.
And bad ones, too.
I listen.
Quiet.
I listen.
Averting my thoughts.
Still.
Quiet.
Even if I don't hear a thing,
I know I have reflected for a moment
and took notice.
I keep looking in good places for temporary comfort.
It is fleeting and volatile.
When will I stop pursuing this disappointment?
It only leads to discouragement and frustration.
Where is that true Comforter?
The One that appreciates me for who I am and values what I can give
The One that sustains me in peaceful reverence
not in impatient aggrivation.
The One that doesn't need specifics
because He pays attention to the details.
It is here that I will find enduring comfort
and His answers always sufficient.
If I would stop for a moment.
Pause.
Listen.
Reflect.
I will not only notice,
I will recognize Him.
And know that he is nearby
even though I feel so distant. 

written january 2008


2 comments:

Shauna said...

Jodi- Exactly the right words to write, I am not sure, however, I am so grateful you feel you can share your experiences. Your faith, long-suffering, and focus are a strength to me.

Jodi said...

you are very kind- for others to find some good/comfort/strength in this journey of mine is my only purpose