Sunday, April 20, 2008

An Answer to Hundreds of Prayers

The first thing we do upon arriving back to the United States, next to having our teeth cleaned, is finding help for Victoria.  I go to a website I recall my mom telling me about that deals with RAD. Attachment.org.  Here I find a list of therapist in Utah and choose the closest one in Orem.  Even after all I have dealt with, I still have reservations about calling.  Is there really a problem?  What if it is really me?  But I also know we cannot go on living this way.  
I call Max.  I briefly explain my crisis and he responds by saying this is his speciality.  I am a very cautious hopeful.  We meet in his office a week later.  Within ten minutes I know this man knows exactly what he is doing.  The way he interacts with her, how he can call her bluff and confirming numerous behaviors related to attachment disorders. I am relieved. 
The first and most important thing that Max required was that I, as the mother, the bonding figure, and the target of most of her aggression, take care of myself.  It was imperative that I did things for myself on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.  You cannot help another if you are drained physically, emotionally, or spiritually.  This is such a natural law but I think as mothers, we do not live by.  I think it is because we don't understand the significance, do not have the support or sadly, feel guilty.  So while caring for myself is such a priority for me, the only challenge I have now is maintaining a balance. Filling my lamp takes more time and conscious effort than reading a novel or playing tennis.